Investing seems like a daunting task, but really, it doesn’t take very long to learn how. I knew nothing about investing before March 2014. By the end of the month I knew 90% of what I needed to know (and I didn’t know the other 10% because I simply didn’t know where to look – see links below). I opened a Roth IRA at the end of March and a brokerage account at the end of May. Keep in mind I wasn’t actively reading and learning about investing all the time during the whole month – I am a busy grad student after all! My investing strategy is really simple: I only invest in three mutual funds. At the end of every month, I figure out how much money I have left over after expenses, and just buy those three funds. I’m really glad I got started because I know that while it will be a bumpy ride, taking the plunge and investing in stocks is the best way to grow your money beyond inflation. To get started, I’d recommend Jim Collins’s stock series first and the Bogleheads wiki for details on specific topics.
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.