LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- This PhD Student Budgets Manually and DynamicallyIn this episode, Emily interviews Ariel Floro, a second-year PhD student at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in northern California. Ariel details her budget, from the mechanics of her system […]
- The Motivation and Strategy Behind Biology PhD StipendsIn this episode, Emily interviews Shelly Gaynor, a fifth-year PhD candidate in botany at the University of Florida. After learning of the possibility of a stipend decrease in her department last […]
- This Grad Student Saved and Spent $60,000 for a Year-Long SeabbatticalIn this episode, Emily interviews Michael Spano, a fifth-year PhD student in chemistry at the University of California, Irvine. After seeing his stipend offer from UCI and securing […]
- Budgeting for the First Year of Grad School Even with Financial AnxietyIn this episode, Emily interviews Georga-Kay Whyte, a first-year graduate student in history at Brown. Georga-Kay is a first-generation college student from Jamaica who grew up with financial […]
- Student Loan Deferment Shouldn’t Be Your DefaultIn this episode, Emily interviews Meagan McGuire, a Certified Student Loan Professional and consultant with Student Loan Planner. Meagan goes over all the pertinent terms of the upcoming modified […]
- This PhD’s Social Mission Pulled Her from Academia into EntrepreneurshipIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Rasheda Weaver, the founder of the Weaver’s Social Enterprise Directory. Rasheda studied and taught social entrepreneurship as a graduate student and […]
- How This Grad Student Shifted Her Student Loan Strategy through the PandemicIn this episode, Emily interviews Lexi Jones, a 4th-year PhD student in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Joint Program in Oceanography/Applied […]
- This Grad Student Deferred Her Acceptance to Work on Her FinancesIn this episode, Emily interviews Brittany Trinh, a PhD student in chemistry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Brittany originally applied to grad school in fall 2018, but she elected to defer […]
- The Tax and Retirement Effects of Receiving Fellowship FundingIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jamie Lahvic about her experience being funded by fellowship during grad school at Harvard and her postdoc at the University of California, Berkeley. Regarding […]
- How This Grad Student Fellow Resolved an Expensive Tax Bill in His FavorIn this episode, Emily interviews Matty Dowd, a sixth-year PhD student in history at Princeton. Matty openly shares with us the tax horror story he lived for most of 2021 and into 2022. In 2018 and […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.