LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- Expert-Level Frugality from ChatGPT and Grad Students Like YouIn this episode, Emily features contributions from the PhD community and from ChatGPT around the topic of frugal tips. Grad students in particular are typically open to exercising frugality to […]
- This Grad Student’s Podcast Expands Beyond Her Dissertation TopicIn this episode, Emily interviews Alexandria Miller, and 5th-year PhD student in Africana Studies at Brown University. In 2021, Alexandria started a podcast, Strictly Facts: A Guide to Caribbean […]
- How This Grad Student-Parent Managed Her Money and Time in the Bay AreaIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Ilana Horwitz, an assistant professor of Jewish Studies and Sociology at Tulane University. Ilana started her PhD at Stanford when her first child was nine […]
- This Grad Student Strives to Change Financial Policies at His UniversityIn this episode, Emily interviews Jason Anderson, a 5th-year PhD student in aeronautics and astronautics at Stanford University. Thanks to his work experience prior to grad school, Jason developed an […]
- This PhD-Prepared Nurse Managed a Night Shift Side Hustle Despite It Being Frowned UponIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jacqueline Nikpour, who holds a PhD in nursing from Duke University and is currently a postdoc at the University of Pennsylvania. Jackie side hustled with […]
- How This Grad Student Budgeted for Having Her First ChildIn this episode, Emily interviews Madeline Hebert, a rising second-year PhD student in Human Development and Family Sciences at the University of Connecticut. Madeline’s household has an […]
- Financial Advice from PhD Career Development and Financial Wellness ProfessionalsIn this episode, Emily shares the microinterviews she recorded at two higher education conferences this past summer. The conference attendees, virtually all of whom work at universities and most of […]
- University-Level Policy Ideas to Improve the Financial Lives of Graduate Students and PostdocsIn this episode, Emily shares the microinterviews she recorded at two higher education conferences this past summer. The conference attendees, virtually all of whom work at universities and most of […]
- Unionization and Individual Negotiation to Improve Graduate Student Stipends and BenefitsIn this episode, Emily shares first-person stories of graduate students enjoying improved stipends and benefits thanks to prior negotiation. The first half of the episode includes the experiences of […]
- Behind the Scenes at the Graduate Career Consortium 2023 Annual MeetingIn this episode, Emily opens up the audio diary she recorded while attending the 2023 annual meeting of the Graduate Career Consortium (GCC) as a sponsor. GCC is attended by university staff members […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.