LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- How This PhD Student and Her Higher-Earning Partner Manage Joint and Separate FinancesIn this episode, Emily interviews Tram Pham, a 3rd-year PhD student in economics at Uppsala University in Sweden. Tram describes the financial aspect of her relationship with her boyfriend, Markus, […]
- Navigating Grad Student Finances While UndocumentedIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Ana Romero Morales, a counseling psychology PhD and a financial coach through Brewing Dinero. Ana specializes in undocumented people and mix-documentation […]
- A Political Economist Explores How to Respond to the Financial Pressures on Graduate StudentsIn this episode, Emily interviews Michael Dedmon, a PhD candidate in Political Science at Syracuse University and the Director of Research at the National Endowment for Financial Education. […]
- Why and How I Started Personal Finance for PhDsIn this episode, Emily narrates the origin story of her business, Personal Finance for PhDs, which started as a personal interest when she graduated from college. She also shares why she has devoted […]
- Catching Up with Prior Guests: 2023 EditionEmily published the first episode of this podcast in July 2018. This is the 200th episode, and over the last five and a half years, the podcast has featured 252 unique voices in addition to Emily’s. […]
- This Grad Student-Parent Relied on University and State Benefits During a Tough Financial PeriodIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Laura Farrell-Wortman about her experience as a graduate student-parent at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Laura started her PhD when her daughter was an […]
- Expert-Level Frugality from ChatGPT and Grad Students Like YouIn this episode, Emily features contributions from the PhD community and from ChatGPT around the topic of frugal tips. Grad students in particular are typically open to exercising frugality to […]
- This Grad Student’s Podcast Expands Beyond Her Dissertation TopicIn this episode, Emily interviews Alexandria Miller, and 5th-year PhD student in Africana Studies at Brown University. In 2021, Alexandria started a podcast, Strictly Facts: A Guide to Caribbean […]
- How This Grad Student-Parent Managed Her Money and Time in the Bay AreaIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Ilana Horwitz, an assistant professor of Jewish Studies and Sociology at Tulane University. Ilana started her PhD at Stanford when her first child was nine […]
- This Grad Student Strives to Change Financial Policies at His UniversityIn this episode, Emily interviews Jason Anderson, a 5th-year PhD student in aeronautics and astronautics at Stanford University. Thanks to his work experience prior to grad school, Jason developed an […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.