LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- How This Grad Student Saves Nearly 40% of Her Stipend in a High Cost of Living AreaIn this episode, Emily interviews Janelle Coleen Dela Cueva, a rising second year graduate student in structural engineering at UCSD. Janelle breaks down her budget, including her largest four […]
- This PhD Student-Nurse Is Confident in Her Self-WorthIn this episode, Emily interviews Brenda Olmos, a nurse practitioner and rising third-year PhD student in nursing. A first-generation college student who grew up without financial stability, Brenda […]
- PhD Home Buying Updates for 2022In this episode, Emily interviews Sam Hogan, a mortgage loan officer with Movement Mortgage who specializes in graduate students and PhDs. Sam lists numerous housing markets where graduate students […]
- This Grad Student Advocates for Higher Stipends Using Cost of Living DataIn this episode, Emily interviews Alex Parry, a sixth-year graduate student at Johns Hopkins in the history of medicine. Alex is a strong advocate for increasing stipends both in his department and […]
- How Fellowship Recipients Can Prevent Large, Unexpected Tax BillsIn this episode, Emily details the steps that graduate students, postdocs, and postbacs who are switching onto non-employee fellowship funding should take to adequately prepare for next tax season. […]
- This Grad Student Advocates Individually and Collectively for Higher StipendsIn this episode, Emily interviews Alyssa Hayes, a rising 4th-year graduate student in nuclear engineering at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Alyssa is a first-generation college student who […]
- This Grad Student’s Finances and Mental Health Were Stuck in a Negative Feedback LoopIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Haley Sanderson, a postdoc at the University of Saskatchewan. Haley was dramatically underpaid during graduate school and discouraged from working on the side. […]
- Financial Advice for Newly Hired Academics and PhDsIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Inga Timmerman, an associate professor of finance and financial planning at Cal State Northridge and financial planner specializing in academics. Emily and Inga […]
- This Grad Student’s Side Business Pays Twice What Her Assistantship DoesIn this episode, Emily interviews Natilie Williams, a PhD candidate in communication at the University of Missouri, keynote speaker, and author. Natilie established her business prior to starting her […]
- The Gardener and Rose Approach for Childfree PhD CouplesIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jay Zigmont, who holds both a PhD in Adult Education and Certified Financial Planner designation. Jay has focused his financial planning practice, Live Learn […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.