LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- How This Grad Student Fellow Resolved an Expensive Tax Bill in His FavorIn this episode, Emily interviews Matty Dowd, a sixth-year PhD student in history at Princeton. Matty openly shares with us the tax horror story he lived for most of 2021 and into 2022. In 2018 and […]
- Five Ways the Tax Code Disadvantages Fellowship IncomeIn this episode, Emily details five ways the federal income tax code disadvantages fellowship income, sometimes resulting in a higher tax rate and sometimes just causing a bit of a headache for […]
- Catching Up with Prior Guests: 2022 EditionEmily published the first episode of this podcast in July 2018. This is the 176th episode, and over the last four and a half years, the podcast has featured 156 unique voices in addition to Emily’s. […]
- This First-Year PhD Student Prioritizes Investing While on FellowshipIn this episode, Emily interviews Michele Remer, a first-year PhD student at Michigan State University, about her financial goals for graduate school. Michelle graduated in spring 2020 and worked a […]
- How to Apply Valuable Scientific Mindsets to Your Personal FinancesIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Brock Bennion, a financial advisor with Kimball Creek Partners who draws on his scientific training when he works with clients. Brock and Emily discuss how the […]
- From Zero Funding to Graduating Student Loan Debt-FreeIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. José Riera, who recently finished his PhD in education from Washington State University. José’s offer of admission to WSU did not include any funding, so […]
- How This Outdoorsy Graduate Student Budgets Her Money and Time for HobbiesIn this episode, Emily interviews Selena Cho, a second-year graduate student at the University of Utah who receives the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. Selena shares her budget breakdown, through […]
- This Graduate Student Doesn’t Sweat the (Financially) Small StuffIn this episode, Emily interviews Keiland Cooper, a fourth year PhD student in neuroscience at the University of California, Irvine. Thanks to his inquisitive nature, Keiland has developed a […]
- How This Grad Student Saves Nearly 40% of Her Stipend in a High Cost of Living AreaIn this episode, Emily interviews Janelle Coleen Dela Cueva, a rising second year graduate student in structural engineering at UCSD. Janelle breaks down her budget, including her largest four […]
- This PhD Student-Nurse Is Confident in Her Self-WorthIn this episode, Emily interviews Brenda Olmos, a nurse practitioner and rising third-year PhD student in nursing. A first-generation college student who grew up without financial stability, Brenda […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.