Why Join The Wealthy PhD?
- With Emily’s guidance, set the optimal financial goal for you for this 8-week period and steadily work toward it.
- Generate an individualized budget that actually works for your current career and life stage.
- Increase your income through winning a fellowship/grant, starting or ramping up a side hustle, and/or landing your next position.
- Reduce your spending in areas you don’t value as much to free up more money for financial goals and spending that you value more.
- Shed the toxic money mindsets imparted to you by academia and replace them with a healthier view of money as a tool to help you live in alignment with your individual values.
How Much Does The Wealthy PhD Cost?
The price to participate in The Wealthy PhD is:
- $350 if paid as a one-time fee or $175 × 2 if paid in installments (once per month) plus
- The membership fee for the Personal Finance for PhDs Community, currently $30 per month (2 months minimum for the program).
What to Expect from The Wealthy PhD
- Three individual coaching sessions with Emily to set your overarching financial goal and strategize about how best to meet it
- Eight small group coaching sessions with Emily and 2-5 other Wealth PhDs to keep you accountable to the small weekly goals you set
- A comprehensive, 13-chapter ebook detailing the best practices in personal finance for early-career PhDs
- Your own online Progress Journal to document your steps and keep track of your overarching financial goal
- Opportunities to interact with like-minded PhDs through the Personal Finance for PhDs Community 24/7
“The Wealthy PhD is a program designed to get you on the path towards reaching your short and long-term financial goals, under the guidance of someone who understands the nuances of graduate school stipends and with the support of fellow academics on similar journeys.”
Jordan Harrod, PhD Student
“The Wealthy PhD is an accountability group, one-on-one financial coaching, and community-oriented online platform with financial resources to guide PhDs toward setting and achieving financial goals.”
Priscilla, PhD Candidate
Download the syllabus for the winter 2021 session (February and March) from here.
Who Is The Wealthy PhD for?
- People at ANY point in their financial journeys. We have Wealthy PhDs with six figures of assets, Wealthy PhDs with six figures of debt, and everything in between.
- PhDs and PhD trainees in various roles
- Graduate students receiving stipends/salaries
- PhDs working in academia, industry, government, nonprofit sector, etc.
- Self-employed PhDs
- Prospective or rising graduate students
- People who live in the US or are planning to move to the US in the near future.
“Anyone who needs support, acceptance, and guidance for pursuing changing their financial life free of judgment… It doesn’t matter where they are on the journey, they can start somewhere and make progress, no matter what the goal is!”
Kelsey Hawk, PhD Student
“The Wealthy PhD Program is for anyone (pre-PhD, pre-candidate, candidate, post-PhD) who is looking to set foundational stones in their financial life. Doing so is not only impactful for the summer, but potentially for the rest of your life. This is a great program to get help so one can have a solid starting position.”
Anonymous, PhD Candidate
“The perfect candidate for this program is someone who wants to start identifying and setting financial goals, who is committed to reflecting on their own financial attitudes and habits, and who is ready to put in guided work each week to start achieving those goals.”
Priscilla, PhD Candidate
What Is the Application Process for The Wealthy PhD?
- Apply to The Wealthy PhD through this link by Wednesday, September 16.
- Submit your availability for the weekly calls.
- Complete a 15-minute onboarding call with Emily.
- Pay the full program fee or the first installment by Saturday, September 19.
- Hit the ground running with The Wealthy PhD!
Schedule a Call with Emily
Still not sure if The Wealthy PhD is right for you? Schedule a call with Emily to find out. It will only take 15 minutes of your time!Schedule Appointment
What The Wealthy PhD’s Alumni Have to Say
Hear what alumni of The Wealthy PhD say about their financial transformations.
“Unpacking my own narrative and limiting beliefs around my money mindset and then replacing these unhelpful stories with positive, healthy affirmations helped me to realize I can take control of my financial future. My finances have historically always been a point of shame for me. But the more I engage with the group and the material, the more comfortable I feel openly discussing my concerns and wins in my finances-not only with my cohort, but with my partner, family and friends.”
My-Linh Luong, PhD Candidate
“My entire mindset related to money has shifted because of The Wealthy PhD.“
Alex, PhD Candidate
“When I first started the program, I was set on a specific goal. However, the values clarification at the beginning changed everything for me.
I learned that my values were strongly related to a different goal, specifically of owning my own place. I switched my goal track, and within 10 weeks of being in the program, I am about to close on a home!”
Kelsey Hawk, PhD Student
“Before the seminar, I felt shame and frustration about my finances. Emily’s caring and well-informed guidance on all things finances, paired with an excellent support group, were critical to change my negative mindset. Emily and the support group have helped me take the fear and shame out of my relationship to money and to see my finances as an empowering, life-long project that can be managed and tackled!”
Helga, PhD Candidate
“I made a major decision to drastically decrease my living expenses and also to plan more long-term.”
Anna, PhD Student
“Before the program, I felt like I didn’t have control over my finances. I wasn’t in debt necessarily, but I also always slightly anxious whether I had enough or whether I’m doing my finances “correctly.”
After the program, I feel much more well equipped with knowledge and a budget, and I’m excited to let my money grow with the system I set up!”
Anonymous, PhD Candidate
“Prior to this program, I saw myself as someone who knew nothing about investing, and was unsure how to start the process; but as I started to learn the basics after my first call with Emily, the process was immediately demystified. Investing for retirement went from feeling scary to feeling empowering, and was no longer a goal I had to wait until after I got my PhD to achieve.”
Priscilla, PhD Candidate
“You have changed my life for the better more than you can ever imagine. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.”
Boluwatiwi, PhD Candidate
Frequently Asked Questions
The Wealthy PhD is rather expensive. Wouldn’t I be financially better off to keep the program fee?
The price of The Wealthy PhD is an investment in yourself; I’m not exaggerating to say that the potential changes you could enact have a lifetime impact of hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. My goal is for The Wealthy PhD to show you how you can earn or save the entire program fee over the course of a year in several different ways, and to walk with you as you implement at least one of them.
What’s the difference between The Wealthy PhD and the Personal Finance for PhDs Community?
The Wealthy PhD is a program that runs on top of your membership in the Personal Finance for PhDs Community. Every Wealthy PhD is a Community member, but not every Community member is a Wealthy PhD.
The Community houses the ‘course’ aspects of The Wealthy PhD. As part of The Wealthy PhD, I will recommend that you read or watch certain ebooks, workshops, webinars, etc. that are available in the Community based on your individual goal for the program. The comprehensive ebook, The Wealthy PhD, is included in the Community.
Your Progress Journal will also be housed in the Community, and you are encouraged to interact with other Community members through the Community Conversations Forum.
In addition to full Community access, as a Wealthy PhD, you will participate in the individual (3) and group (8) coaching sessions described above, where you will receive structured accountability to keep you on track to meet your overarching financial goal for the program as well as regular access to me so that I can answer any questions that arise for you as you work through the course material.
If the Personal Finance for PhDs Community sounds like a better fit for you right now, please join! You can use the Community to get ready for a later cycle of The Wealthy PhD.
Should I participate in this session or a later one?
The winter 2021 session is certainly going to be unique as we all grapple with the continuing coronavirus pandemic and social distancing and their economic repercussions.
However, a truth that never changes is: It’s never too early to work on your finances. If you have the temporal, emotional, and financial capacity to participate in The Wealthy PhD, I don’t think you should put it off for a later time.
How much of a time investment is The Wealthy PhD? (I’m busy!)
The minimum time investment for The Wealthy PhD is approximately 2 hours per week.
You certainly can devote as much time as you like to the program, up to several hours per week, but only if that is in service of your overarching financial goal and in balance with your other commitments.
Is there a refund policy?
Not everyone is the right fit for The Wealthy PhD and vice versa. If you decide by the end of the first week of the program that it’s not going to work for you, I’ll refund you all the money you have paid up to that point—no hard feelings.