LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- This PhD-Prepared Nurse Managed a Night Shift Side Hustle Despite It Being Frowned UponIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jacqueline Nikpour, who holds a PhD in nursing from Duke University and is currently a postdoc at the University of Pennsylvania. Jackie side hustled with […]
- How This Grad Student Budgeted for Having Her First ChildIn this episode, Emily interviews Madeline Hebert, a rising second-year PhD student in Human Development and Family Sciences at the University of Connecticut. Madeline’s household has an […]
- Financial Advice from PhD Career Development and Financial Wellness ProfessionalsIn this episode, Emily shares the microinterviews she recorded at two higher education conferences this past summer. The conference attendees, virtually all of whom work at universities and most of […]
- University-Level Policy Ideas to Improve the Financial Lives of Graduate Students and PostdocsIn this episode, Emily shares the microinterviews she recorded at two higher education conferences this past summer. The conference attendees, virtually all of whom work at universities and most of […]
- Unionization and Individual Negotiation to Improve Graduate Student Stipends and BenefitsIn this episode, Emily shares first-person stories of graduate students enjoying improved stipends and benefits thanks to prior negotiation. The first half of the episode includes the experiences of […]
- Behind the Scenes at the Graduate Career Consortium 2023 Annual MeetingIn this episode, Emily opens up the audio diary she recorded while attending the 2023 annual meeting of the Graduate Career Consortium (GCC) as a sponsor. GCC is attended by university staff members […]
- Why and How These Grad Students Purchased HomesIn this episode, Emily presents first-person stories from grad students who bought homes during grad school. The volunteers were simply asked to share their stories of home ownership, whatever they […]
- Why and How These Graduate Students Side HustleIn this episode, Emily presents first-person stories from grad students who side hustle. The volunteers were asked this set of questions: What is your motivation for having a side hustle? What is […]
- This PhD Student Budgets Manually and DynamicallyIn this episode, Emily interviews Ariel Floro, a second-year PhD student at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in northern California. Ariel details her budget, from the mechanics of her system […]
- The Motivation and Strategy Behind Biology PhD StipendsIn this episode, Emily interviews Shelly Gaynor, a fifth-year PhD candidate in botany at the University of Florida. After learning of the possibility of a stipend decrease in her department last […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.