LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- How a Boom-and-Bust Money Mindset from Grad School Serves This Start-Up Founder WellIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Lindy Ledohowski, a PhD in English, former tenure-track professor, and founder of the ed tech start-up EssayJack. Lindy describes the money mindset she developed […]
- A Low-Cost Lifestyle Can Be Both Necessary and Enjoyable During Grad SchoolIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Trevor Hedberg, who completed his PhD in philosophy at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville in 2017. His academic year stipend was $15,000 throughout […]
- Can I Make Extra Money as a Funded Graduate Student on an F-1 Visa?In this episode, Emily interviews Frank Alvillar, an immigration attorney at Alvillar Law in San Antonio, Texas, and Sheena Connell, a designated school official and the assistant director of […]
- How This Prof Developed Her Career, Family, and Finances (with Dr. Sarah Birken of AcaDames)In this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Sarah Birken, a faculty member in the Wake Forest School of Medicine and co-host of the podcast AcaDames. Sarah tells the story of her financial life from her […]
- University Policies to Better Support Grad Student ParentsIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Alaina Talboy, a PhD in cognition, neuroscience, and social psychology. Alaina had her son before starting grad school in 2011 and separated from her husband a […]
- How This Grad Student’s Finances Changed During the PandemicIn this episode, Emily interviews Eun Bin Go, a PhD student at the University of California at Los Angeles. Eun Bin reflects on the financial changes she made during 2020, and which ones of them will […]
- Be a Fly on the Wall During a Financial Coaching Session (with Elana Gloger of Dear Grad Student)In this episode, Emily conducts an initial financial coaching session with Elana Gloger, a PhD student at the University of Kentucky and the host of the Dear Grad Student podcast. Emily and Elana […]
- This Grad Student and Her Family Lived on Her Stipend While Banking Her Spouse’sIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jacqueline Kory-Westlund, who recently completed her PhD in the MIT Media Lab. During their five years in Boston, Jackie and her husband lived on her grad […]
- Negotiating Your Grad School Stipend and Benefits: Five Success StoriesIn this episode, Emily presents five stories from anonymous guests of successful stipend negotiations between prospective or current graduate students and their PhD programs. The episode is primarily […]
- How to Cultivate a Personal Brand to Land Your Next Job or Launch Your BusinessIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Gertrude ‘Gee’ Nonterah on why and how PhDs and even graduate students should develop a personal brand. Strategically using LinkedIn and Twitter can […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.