Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- What to Do with Your Higher Take-Home PayWhatever you might think of the Republican tax bill from last fall, it has now been passed into law and has already started to affect your income taxes for 2018. In many cases, your tax burden as a […]
- New Fellow? Pay Your Quarterly Estimated Tax for the First Time This Week!Did you start receiving a fellowship this academic year as a graduate student or postdoc? First, congratulations! Second, I must clear up a pernicious misconception about fellowships in the US: you […]
- How to Put Your New Postdoc Salary in ContextAfter a long, arduous journey through graduate school, you’ve successfully defended your PhD and are about to take the next step in your research career: a postdoc. One of the best perks of […]
- How Will Taxes for Grad Students and Postdocs Change Under the New Tax Law?The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act has been passed by both the House and Senate and signed by the president, and grad students are rejoicing that their tuition benefits were preserved in the final version. […]
- Everything You Need to Know about Roth IRAs in Graduate SchoolAs you are no doubt aware, graduate students are clamoring for information on investing for retirement. I’ve observed this during my seminars and it’s been documented by the Council of […]