LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- Turn Your Largest Liability into Your Largest Asset with House HackingIn this episode, Emily and her guest, Sam Hogan, explain how house hacking can benefit graduate students and early-career PhDs. House hacking is when you purchase a property, live in it, and rent out […]
- Knowing Your Worth in an Environment that Devalues Your WorkIn this episode, Emily interviews Sam McDonald, a fifth-year PhD student in informatics at the University of California at Irvine. Sam received the NSF GRFP, completed a lucrative internship at a […]
- What Happens When Personal Finance Education Becomes Your HobbyIn this episode, Emily interviews Laura Frater, a first-year PhD student at the University of California at Davis. Laura grew up in a low-income family in Scotland and first came to the US a few […]
- What Your University Isn’t Telling You About Your Income TaxIn this episode, Emily lists six things that your university isn’t telling you about your income tax. Point 1 is on why and how this lack of communication manifests. Point 2 is on what your […]
- Catching Up with Prior Guests: 2020 EditionEmily published the first episode of this podcast in July 2018. This is the one hundred and seventh episode, and over the last two and a half years, the podcast has featured 94 unique voices in […]
- How to Solve the Problem of Irregular ExpensesIn this episode, Emily tells the story of starting to use the strategy that completely revolutionized her budget when she was a grad student. She teaches this strategy in almost all of the seminars […]
- How to Set Yourself Up for a Successful Career and Financial Life Post-PhDIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jennifer Polk, a career coach specializing in PhDs whose brand is From PhD to Life. Emily and Jen explore the damage that graduate school and academia often does […]
- How to Handle Your Student Loans During Grad School and FollowingIn this episode, Emily interviews Meagan Landress, a Certified Student Loan Professional who works with Student Loan Planner, about how a grad student or PhD should best handle their federal student […]
- How to Curb Your Impulse to Keep Up with the JonesesIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Joy Lere, a licensed clinical psychologist and behavioral finance consultant on the danger of “keeping up with the Joneses.” Joy explains how […]
- How to Identify and Change the Money Mindset You Developed in AcademiaIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Chris Cornthwaite of Roostervane. Chris and Emily share the money mindsets that they have observed among PhDs and academics, including believing money and wealth […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.