LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- This PhD’s Social Mission Pulled Her from Academia into EntrepreneurshipIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Rasheda Weaver, the founder of the Weaver’s Social Enterprise Directory. Rasheda studied and taught social entrepreneurship as a graduate student and […]
- How This Grad Student Shifted Her Student Loan Strategy through the PandemicIn this episode, Emily interviews Lexi Jones, a 4th-year PhD student in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology – Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Joint Program in Oceanography/Applied […]
- This Grad Student Deferred Her Acceptance to Work on Her FinancesIn this episode, Emily interviews Brittany Trinh, a PhD student in chemistry at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Brittany originally applied to grad school in fall 2018, but she elected to defer […]
- The Tax and Retirement Effects of Receiving Fellowship FundingIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jamie Lahvic about her experience being funded by fellowship during grad school at Harvard and her postdoc at the University of California, Berkeley. Regarding […]
- How This Grad Student Fellow Resolved an Expensive Tax Bill in His FavorIn this episode, Emily interviews Matty Dowd, a sixth-year PhD student in history at Princeton. Matty openly shares with us the tax horror story he lived for most of 2021 and into 2022. In 2018 and […]
- Five Ways the Tax Code Disadvantages Fellowship IncomeIn this episode, Emily details five ways the federal income tax code disadvantages fellowship income, sometimes resulting in a higher tax rate and sometimes just causing a bit of a headache for […]
- Catching Up with Prior Guests: 2022 EditionEmily published the first episode of this podcast in July 2018. This is the 176th episode, and over the last four and a half years, the podcast has featured 156 unique voices in addition to Emily’s. […]
- This First-Year PhD Student Prioritizes Investing While on FellowshipIn this episode, Emily interviews Michele Remer, a first-year PhD student at Michigan State University, about her financial goals for graduate school. Michelle graduated in spring 2020 and worked a […]
- How to Apply Valuable Scientific Mindsets to Your Personal FinancesIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Brock Bennion, a financial advisor with Kimball Creek Partners who draws on his scientific training when he works with clients. Brock and Emily discuss how the […]
- From Zero Funding to Graduating Student Loan Debt-FreeIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. José Riera, who recently finished his PhD in education from Washington State University. José’s offer of admission to WSU did not include any funding, so […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.