LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- The Necessity of Both Economic Justice Advocacy and Personal Financial ResponsibilityIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Ian Gutierrez, a PhD in clinical psychology and former union leader at the University of Connecticut. While in graduate school, Ian served on the bargaining […]
- The Financial Hurdles of Moving to the US as a PostdocIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Louise Lassalle, a postdoc at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab in Berkeley, CA. Louise recounts the hurdles in the process of her move from France to the US […]
- This PhD Entrepreneur Advocates for Universal Basic Income (Part 2)In this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jim Pugh, the founder of ShareProgress and co-host of the Basic Income Podcast. Jim defines universal basic income and outlines how it would alleviate poverty […]
- This PhD Entrepreneur Advocates for Universal Basic Income (Part 1)In this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jim Pugh, the founder of ShareProgress and co-host of the Basic Income Podcast. Jim earned a PhD in computer science and subsequently worked for the Democratic […]
- How to Qualify for a Mortgage as a Graduate Student or PhD, Even with Non-W-2 Fellowship IncomeIn this episode, Emily interviews her brother, Sam Hogan, a mortgage originator with Prime Lending who specializes in PhDs and PhD students, particularly those receiving fellowship income. Sam relays […]
- The Financial and Career Opportunities Available to National Science Foundation Graduate Research FellowsIn this episode, Emily interviews Kelsey Wood, a National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellow who now teaches others how to write competitive applications for the Graduate Research […]
- How and When Will I Receive My Stimulus Check?In this episode, Emily explains how and when the stimulus checks from the CARES Act will be sent to qualifying individuals. She points to new IRS tools to help you track your payment and ensure that […]
- How a Book Inspired This PhD’s Financial TurnaroundIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Amanda, a tenure-track professor at a small college in the midwest. At the start graduate school, Amanda was disengaged from her finances and considered grad […]
- How to Improve Your Finances While Social DistancingNow that we’re a few weeks into our new normal of social distancing / isolation / quarantine, you may find yourself with the time, ability, and willingness to work on your personal finances*. […]
- This PhD Student Buys Her Time Back by Living Car-FreeIn this episode, Emily interviews Alina Christenbury, a first-year PhD student in computer science at the University of Delaware. Alina doesn’t own a car, preferring to bicycle for her […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.