LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- The Financial Upside to Leaving AcademiaIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Chris Caterine, the author of Leaving Academia: A Practical Guide. Chris holds a PhD in classics and worked as a visiting assistant professor before […]
- How to Establish and Improve Your Credit as a Graduate Student or PhDIn this episode, Emily explores the topic of credit: what is it, why it matters, how to establish it, how to improve it, and when you can stop thinking about it so much. Near the end, she also reveal […]
- Entering a PhD Program with Significant Debt and InvestmentsIn this episode, Emily interviews Alexandra Savinkina, who is starting a PhD program at Yale University after completing a master’s degree and working for several years. She has spent the last […]
- How This Non-Budgeting PhD Accomplishes Major Financial GoalsIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Alana Rister, a PhD in chemistry and the founder of the Science Grad School Coach. Alana and Emily discuss two major aspects of Alana’s finances from grad […]
- This Start-Up Centers Graduate Students and Pays Them HandsomelyIn this episode, Emily interviews Jin Chow, a graduate student at Stanford, and Stephen Weber, a graduate student at the University of Georgia. Jin is the co-founder of Polygence, a start-up that […]
- What to Do at the Start of the Academic Year to Make Next Tax Season EasierIn this episode, Emily teaches what various types of PhD trainees can do at the start of the academic year to make next tax season go more smoothly. She covers tracking qualified education expenses, […]
- How This Grad Student Plans to Contribute to His Roth IRA Using 529 MoneyIn this episode, Emily interviews Ben Wills, who is starting a master’s of science at Georgia Tech at age 29. They discuss the interesting jobs and experiences that Ben had in his 20s and why […]
- How This JD/PhD Overcame Money Terror and AvoidanceIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Michelle Thompson, who has had multiple careers as a lawyer, an adjunct, and now a coach and business owner. Michelle observed her mother’s terror and her […]
- This PhD’s Money Mindset from Childhood Has Served Her Well Through Multiple PhasesIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Judy Chan, a PhD and staff member at the University of British Columbia. As a child of immigrants to Canada, Judy learned early on the virtues of hard work, […]
- How to Eat Well on a Grad Student BudgetIn this episode, Emily interviews Jen from the Budget Epicurean (formerly College-Approved Food) about her experience as a grad student. Jen finished a master’s and spent several years in a PhD […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.