LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- Fully Joint and Fully Separate Finances in Marriage: Perspectives from Two PhDsIn this episode, Emily discusses marital finances with Dr. Michelle Roley-Roberts, an assistant professor at Creighton University. Emily and her husband keep fully joint finances, whereas Michelle […]
- This Postdoc from a Low-Income Family Evolved Her Financial Attitudes and Practices During Her PhD TrainingIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Fushcia Hoover, a postdoc at the National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center. Fushcia grew up in a low-income family and graduated from college in 2009. Unable […]
- This New PhD’s Salary Tripled But Her Scarcity Mindset LingeredIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Samantha Snively, a PhD in literature who recently transitioned to a non-academic job at the University of California at Davis. Samantha tells the story of her […]
- Best Practices in Side Hustling During Graduate SchoolIn this episode, Emily interviews Lourdes Bobbio and Meryem Ok, two PhD students who work on this podcast as virtual assistants. Today’s conversation is all about side hustling! Lourdes and […]
- How a Freelancing Career Can Take You from Academia to AffluenceIn this episode, Emily interviews Courtney Danyel of Academia to Affluence. Courtney became a successful freelance writer after leaving her PhD program in anthropology and moving to one of her field […]
- This Fulbright Fellow Supplements Her Stipend with Prior SavingsIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Caitlin Kirby, a graduate student at Michigan State University and former Fulbright fellow in Germany. Caitlin has been greatly financially challenged on the […]
- How This Entering PhD Student Has Set Himself Up for Financial Success in Graduate SchoolIn this episode, Emily interviews George Walters-Marrah, a rising first-year PhD student in biophysics at Stanford. In the last year, as George has been applying to and preparing to attend graduate […]
- This PhD Candidate Paid for Her Wedding with Her Research Side HustleIn this episode, Emily interviews Rebecca Brenner Graham about side hustling to pay for her wedding while a PhD candidate in history at American University. In addition to working on her own […]
- This Muslim Graduate Student Found Halal Investing and Now Teaches It to Her Family and FriendsIn this episode, Emily interviews Joumana Altallal, a Muslim graduate student at the University of Michigan. Joumana began investigating personal finance in the summer before she started graduate […]
- How This PhD Student’s Budgeting Practice Enabled a Hawaiian VacationIn this episode, Emily interviews Sean from Authentically Average, a fourth-year PhD student at a university in Houston, TX. Sean and his wife have very intentionally set up their budget to reflect […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.