LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- How This JD/PhD Overcame Money Terror and AvoidanceIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Michelle Thompson, who has had multiple careers as a lawyer, an adjunct, and now a coach and business owner. Michelle observed her mother’s terror and her […]
- This PhD’s Money Mindset from Childhood Has Served Her Well Through Multiple PhasesIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Judy Chan, a PhD and staff member at the University of British Columbia. As a child of immigrants to Canada, Judy learned early on the virtues of hard work, […]
- How to Eat Well on a Grad Student BudgetIn this episode, Emily interviews Jen from the Budget Epicurean (formerly College-Approved Food) about her experience as a grad student. Jen finished a master’s and spent several years in a PhD […]
- Pursuing Your Passion in a Financially Healthy MannerThis episode is a podcast swap! Emily’s guest is Dr. Stephanie Schuttler of Fancy Scientist. Emily and Stephanie interview one another on the financial challenges of a career in wildlife […]
- Where PhD Candidates Are Full-Time Employees with BenefitsIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Veronika Cheplygina about the differences between how universities in the Netherlands and the US financially support their PhD students. In the Netherlands, PhD […]
- How to Financially Transition to Grad School as an Underprivileged StudentIn this episode, Emily interviews Rutendo Chabikwa, a first-year PhD student from Zimbabwe at the University of Oxford and the host of the podcast So, You Got A Scholarship? The topic is the […]
- Can I Qualify for a Mortgage with a Short-Term Fellowship or on an F-1 Visa?In this episode, Emily shares a few clips from the first-time homebuyer Q&A that she hosted with Sam Hogan on May 6, 2021. Sam is a mortgage originator with Prime Lending specializing in graduate […]
- How Two PhDs Bought Their First Home in a HCOL Area in 2021In this episode, Emily recounts her and her husband’s home ownership journey, what she’s learned along the way about buying a home, and what she wishes they had done differently. The […]
- Insights from a Financial Planner Who Works with AcademicsIn this episode, Emily interviews Andy Baxley, a Certified Financial Planner who specializes in working with academics and PhDs. Andy pursued graduate school in psychology immediately after […]
- This PhD Found Financial Peace through Pursuing FIREIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. 50 of By 50 Journey, a federal employee who is pursuing financial independence and early retirement (FIRE). Dr. 50 came to the US after finishing college, but […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.