LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- This Grad Student and Her Family Lived on Her Stipend While Banking Her Spouse’sIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jacqueline Kory-Westlund, who recently completed her PhD in the MIT Media Lab. During their five years in Boston, Jackie and her husband lived on her grad […]
- Negotiating Your Grad School Stipend and Benefits: Five Success StoriesIn this episode, Emily presents five stories from anonymous guests of successful stipend negotiations between prospective or current graduate students and their PhD programs. The episode is primarily […]
- How to Cultivate a Personal Brand to Land Your Next Job or Launch Your BusinessIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Gertrude ‘Gee’ Nonterah on why and how PhDs and even graduate students should develop a personal brand. Strategically using LinkedIn and Twitter can […]
- This Two-Time International Graduate Student Gives Excellent Advice to Her Prospective PeersIn this episode, Emily interviews Josephine Shikongo-Asino, a second-year PhD student at Oklahoma State University from Namibia. This is Josephine’s second stint as an international graduate […]
- Turn Your Largest Liability into Your Largest Asset with House HackingIn this episode, Emily and her guest, Sam Hogan, explain how house hacking can benefit graduate students and early-career PhDs. House hacking is when you purchase a property, live in it, and rent out […]
- Knowing Your Worth in an Environment that Devalues Your WorkIn this episode, Emily interviews Sam McDonald, a fifth-year PhD student in informatics at the University of California at Irvine. Sam received the NSF GRFP, completed a lucrative internship at a […]
- What Happens When Personal Finance Education Becomes Your HobbyIn this episode, Emily interviews Laura Frater, a first-year PhD student at the University of California at Davis. Laura grew up in a low-income family in Scotland and first came to the US a few […]
- What Your University Isn’t Telling You About Your Income TaxIn this episode, Emily lists six things that your university isn’t telling you about your income tax. Point 1 is on why and how this lack of communication manifests. Point 2 is on what your […]
- Catching Up with Prior Guests: 2020 EditionEmily published the first episode of this podcast in July 2018. This is the one hundred and seventh episode, and over the last two and a half years, the podcast has featured 94 unique voices in […]
- How to Solve the Problem of Irregular ExpensesIn this episode, Emily tells the story of starting to use the strategy that completely revolutionized her budget when she was a grad student. She teaches this strategy in almost all of the seminars […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.