LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- This PhD Candidate Paid for Her Wedding with Her Research Side HustleIn this episode, Emily interviews Rebecca Brenner Graham about side hustling to pay for her wedding while a PhD candidate in history at American University. In addition to working on her own […]
- This Muslim Graduate Student Found Halal Investing and Now Teaches It to Her Family and FriendsIn this episode, Emily interviews Joumana Altallal, a Muslim graduate student at the University of Michigan. Joumana began investigating personal finance in the summer before she started graduate […]
- How This PhD Student’s Budgeting Practice Enabled a Hawaiian VacationIn this episode, Emily interviews Sean from Authentically Average, a fourth-year PhD student at a university in Houston, TX. Sean and his wife have very intentionally set up their budget to reflect […]
- How to Negotiate as a Graduate Student or PhD in Industry and AcademiaIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Abby Rainer, a PhD in organizational communication and Lean Six Sigma Black Belt. Abby’s dissertation focused on women in STEM careers negotiating their […]
- How This Grad Student Navigated a Broken Engagement in a High Cost-of-Living CityIn this episode, Emily interviews Tina Del Carpio, a third-year PhD student at the University of California at Los Angeles in ecology and evolutionary biology. Tina chose their PhD program […]
- How This Grad Student Fellow Invests for Retirement and Pays Quarterly Estimated TaxIn this episode, Emily interviews Lucy Capano, a rising fourth-year PhD student at Washington University in St. Louis. Since she started her graduate program, Lucy has been funded by a non-W-2 […]
- How to Financially Manage a Once-Per-Term Fellowship PaycheckIn some PhD programs, graduate students on fellowship are paid only once per semester or trimester, between 2 and 4 times per year. This pay frequency engenders unique challenges and opportunities […]
- This PhD Got a Late Start Financially But Is on Track to Retire EarlyIn this episode, Emily interview Dr. Sean Sanders, Director and Senior Editor for Custom Publishing for the journal Science and Program Director for Outreach. Sean came to the US for a postdoc […]
- Learn from This Professor’s Nightmarish Home Ownership JourneyIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Kevin Jennings, a professor of Criminal Justice and Criminology at Georgia Southern University in Savannah, Georgia. Kevin and his wife bought a home in Savannah […]
- How Work Experience Outside Academia Can Bolster Your Academic and Non-Academic CareerIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Gillian Hayes, the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Dean of the Graduate Division at UC Irvine. Throughout her career as a computer scientist, Gillian has […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.