LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- How Fellowship Recipients Can Prevent Large, Unexpected Tax BillsIn this episode, Emily details the steps that graduate students, postdocs, and postbacs who are switching onto non-employee fellowship funding should take to adequately prepare for next tax season. […]
- This Grad Student Advocates Individually and Collectively for Higher StipendsIn this episode, Emily interviews Alyssa Hayes, a rising 4th-year graduate student in nuclear engineering at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Alyssa is a first-generation college student who […]
- This Grad Student’s Finances and Mental Health Were Stuck in a Negative Feedback LoopIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Haley Sanderson, a postdoc at the University of Saskatchewan. Haley was dramatically underpaid during graduate school and discouraged from working on the side. […]
- Financial Advice for Newly Hired Academics and PhDsIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Inga Timmerman, an associate professor of finance and financial planning at Cal State Northridge and financial planner specializing in academics. Emily and Inga […]
- This Grad Student’s Side Business Pays Twice What Her Assistantship DoesIn this episode, Emily interviews Natilie Williams, a PhD candidate in communication at the University of Missouri, keynote speaker, and author. Natilie established her business prior to starting her […]
- The Gardener and Rose Approach for Childfree PhD CouplesIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jay Zigmont, who holds both a PhD in Adult Education and Certified Financial Planner designation. Jay has focused his financial planning practice, Live Learn […]
- This Prof Is Taking Deliberate Steps Toward Self-EmploymentIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Leslie Wang, an associate professor of Sociology at UMass Boston. Over the last several years, Leslie has become a certified life coach and secured her niche as […]
- How Grad School Rewired This Student’s Brain for Financial SuccessIn this episode, Emily interviews Elise Glickert, a fifth-year PhD student in organic chemistry at the University at Buffalo. Elise got married in the summer between finishing undergrad and starting […]
- Semester-Proof Your Academic Side Business with Digital ProductsIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Toyin Alli, a lecturer at the University of Georgia and founder of The Academic Society. Through the Academic Society, Toyin teaches graduate students about […]
- Why Is My Fellowship Tax Bill So High?!Hi! I’m Dr. Emily Roberts, the founder of Personal Finance for PhDs. I’m a financial educator specializing in graduate students, postdocs, and PhDs in their first Real Jobs. My website is P F f o r P […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.