LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- Where PhD Candidates Are Full-Time Employees with BenefitsIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Veronika Cheplygina about the differences between how universities in the Netherlands and the US financially support their PhD students. In the Netherlands, PhD […]
- How to Financially Transition to Grad School as an Underprivileged StudentIn this episode, Emily interviews Rutendo Chabikwa, a first-year PhD student from Zimbabwe at the University of Oxford and the host of the podcast So, You Got A Scholarship? The topic is the […]
- Can I Qualify for a Mortgage with a Short-Term Fellowship or on an F-1 Visa?In this episode, Emily shares a few clips from the first-time homebuyer Q&A that she hosted with Sam Hogan on May 6, 2021. Sam is a mortgage originator with Prime Lending specializing in graduate […]
- How Two PhDs Bought Their First Home in a HCOL Area in 2021In this episode, Emily recounts her and her husband’s home ownership journey, what she’s learned along the way about buying a home, and what she wishes they had done differently. The […]
- Insights from a Financial Planner Who Works with AcademicsIn this episode, Emily interviews Andy Baxley, a Certified Financial Planner who specializes in working with academics and PhDs. Andy pursued graduate school in psychology immediately after […]
- This PhD Found Financial Peace through Pursuing FIREIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. 50 of By 50 Journey, a federal employee who is pursuing financial independence and early retirement (FIRE). Dr. 50 came to the US after finishing college, but […]
- How a Boom-and-Bust Money Mindset from Grad School Serves This Start-Up Founder WellIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Lindy Ledohowski, a PhD in English, former tenure-track professor, and founder of the ed tech start-up EssayJack. Lindy describes the money mindset she developed […]
- A Low-Cost Lifestyle Can Be Both Necessary and Enjoyable During Grad SchoolIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Trevor Hedberg, who completed his PhD in philosophy at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville in 2017. His academic year stipend was $15,000 throughout […]
- Can I Make Extra Money as a Funded Graduate Student on an F-1 Visa?In this episode, Emily interviews Frank Alvillar, an immigration attorney at Alvillar Law in San Antonio, Texas, and Sheena Connell, a designated school official and the assistant director of […]
- How This Prof Developed Her Career, Family, and Finances (with Dr. Sarah Birken of AcaDames)In this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Sarah Birken, a faculty member in the Wake Forest School of Medicine and co-host of the podcast AcaDames. Sarah tells the story of her financial life from her […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.