LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- How This Grad Student Navigated a Broken Engagement in a High Cost-of-Living CityIn this episode, Emily interviews Tina Del Carpio, a third-year PhD student at the University of California at Los Angeles in ecology and evolutionary biology. Tina chose their PhD program […]
- How This Grad Student Fellow Invests for Retirement and Pays Quarterly Estimated TaxIn this episode, Emily interviews Lucy Capano, a rising fourth-year PhD student at Washington University in St. Louis. Since she started her graduate program, Lucy has been funded by a non-W-2 […]
- How to Financially Manage a Once-Per-Term Fellowship PaycheckIn some PhD programs, graduate students on fellowship are paid only once per semester or trimester, between 2 and 4 times per year. This pay frequency engenders unique challenges and opportunities […]
- This PhD Got a Late Start Financially But Is on Track to Retire EarlyIn this episode, Emily interview Dr. Sean Sanders, Director and Senior Editor for Custom Publishing for the journal Science and Program Director for Outreach. Sean came to the US for a postdoc […]
- Learn from This Professor’s Nightmarish Home Ownership JourneyIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Kevin Jennings, a professor of Criminal Justice and Criminology at Georgia Southern University in Savannah, Georgia. Kevin and his wife bought a home in Savannah […]
- How Work Experience Outside Academia Can Bolster Your Academic and Non-Academic CareerIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Gillian Hayes, the Vice Provost for Graduate Studies and Dean of the Graduate Division at UC Irvine. Throughout her career as a computer scientist, Gillian has […]
- This Postdoc Has a System for Debt Repayment That You Can Follow as WellIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Suba Narasimhan, a postdoctoral fellow at Emory University. Suba and her husband each brought debt into their marriage, and once they both had full incomes, they […]
- The Necessity of Both Economic Justice Advocacy and Personal Financial ResponsibilityIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Ian Gutierrez, a PhD in clinical psychology and former union leader at the University of Connecticut. While in graduate school, Ian served on the bargaining […]
- The Financial Hurdles of Moving to the US as a PostdocIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Louise Lassalle, a postdoc at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab in Berkeley, CA. Louise recounts the hurdles in the process of her move from France to the US […]
- This PhD Entrepreneur Advocates for Universal Basic Income (Part 2)In this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Jim Pugh, the founder of ShareProgress and co-host of the Basic Income Podcast. Jim defines universal basic income and outlines how it would alleviate poverty […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.