LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- How to Apply Valuable Scientific Mindsets to Your Personal FinancesIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Brock Bennion, a financial advisor with Kimball Creek Partners who draws on his scientific training when he works with clients. Brock and Emily discuss how the […]
- From Zero Funding to Graduating Student Loan Debt-FreeIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. José Riera, who recently finished his PhD in education from Washington State University. José’s offer of admission to WSU did not include any funding, so […]
- How This Outdoorsy Graduate Student Budgets Her Money and Time for HobbiesIn this episode, Emily interviews Selena Cho, a second-year graduate student at the University of Utah who receives the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. Selena shares her budget breakdown, through […]
- This Graduate Student Doesn’t Sweat the (Financially) Small StuffIn this episode, Emily interviews Keiland Cooper, a fourth year PhD student in neuroscience at the University of California, Irvine. Thanks to his inquisitive nature, Keiland has developed a […]
- How This Grad Student Saves Nearly 40% of Her Stipend in a High Cost of Living AreaIn this episode, Emily interviews Janelle Coleen Dela Cueva, a rising second year graduate student in structural engineering at UCSD. Janelle breaks down her budget, including her largest four […]
- This PhD Student-Nurse Is Confident in Her Self-WorthIn this episode, Emily interviews Brenda Olmos, a nurse practitioner and rising third-year PhD student in nursing. A first-generation college student who grew up without financial stability, Brenda […]
- PhD Home Buying Updates for 2022In this episode, Emily interviews Sam Hogan, a mortgage loan officer with Movement Mortgage who specializes in graduate students and PhDs. Sam lists numerous housing markets where graduate students […]
- This Grad Student Advocates for Higher Stipends Using Cost of Living DataIn this episode, Emily interviews Alex Parry, a sixth-year graduate student at Johns Hopkins in the history of medicine. Alex is a strong advocate for increasing stipends both in his department and […]
- How Fellowship Recipients Can Prevent Large, Unexpected Tax BillsIn this episode, Emily details the steps that graduate students, postdocs, and postbacs who are switching onto non-employee fellowship funding should take to adequately prepare for next tax season. […]
- This Grad Student Advocates Individually and Collectively for Higher StipendsIn this episode, Emily interviews Alyssa Hayes, a rising 4th-year graduate student in nuclear engineering at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Alyssa is a first-generation college student who […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.