LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- The Process Behind Landing a Dream Job with a Jaw-Dropping SalaryIn this episode, Emily interviews My-Linh Luong, a PhD candidate in physiotherapy at the University of Melbourne in Australia. My-Linh is at the all but dissertation stage of her PhD and recently […]
- This Grad Student Is Riding the Meme Stocks and Crypto Roller CoastersIn this episode, Emily interviews Cara Davidson, a graduate student at Western University. Cara has a “tumultuous” income from assistantships, scholarships, and freelance writing, and she […]
- This Grad Student Eliminated Her Housing Expense to Pay Off Her Student LoansIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Erika Moore Taylor, an assistant professor at the University of Florida and the founder of Moore Wealth. When Erika started her PhD at Duke, she had $65,000 of […]
- The Financial Upside to Leaving AcademiaIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Chris Caterine, the author of Leaving Academia: A Practical Guide. Chris holds a PhD in classics and worked as a visiting assistant professor before […]
- How to Establish and Improve Your Credit as a Graduate Student or PhDIn this episode, Emily explores the topic of credit: what is it, why it matters, how to establish it, how to improve it, and when you can stop thinking about it so much. Near the end, she also reveal […]
- Entering a PhD Program with Significant Debt and InvestmentsIn this episode, Emily interviews Alexandra Savinkina, who is starting a PhD program at Yale University after completing a master’s degree and working for several years. She has spent the last […]
- How This Non-Budgeting PhD Accomplishes Major Financial GoalsIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Alana Rister, a PhD in chemistry and the founder of the Science Grad School Coach. Alana and Emily discuss two major aspects of Alana’s finances from grad […]
- This Start-Up Centers Graduate Students and Pays Them HandsomelyIn this episode, Emily interviews Jin Chow, a graduate student at Stanford, and Stephen Weber, a graduate student at the University of Georgia. Jin is the co-founder of Polygence, a start-up that […]
- What to Do at the Start of the Academic Year to Make Next Tax Season EasierIn this episode, Emily teaches what various types of PhD trainees can do at the start of the academic year to make next tax season go more smoothly. She covers tracking qualified education expenses, […]
- How This Grad Student Plans to Contribute to His Roth IRA Using 529 MoneyIn this episode, Emily interviews Ben Wills, who is starting a master’s of science at Georgia Tech at age 29. They discuss the interesting jobs and experiences that Ben had in his 20s and why […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.