LATEST POSTS FROM THE BLOG
- This Grad Student Interrogated Her Budget and Worked on the Side to Financially ThriveIn this episode, Emily interviews Alyce Viens, a 4th-year PhD student in communications at the University of Connecticut. On the eve of her defense, Alyce looks back over her time in graduate school […]
- This Grad Student’s Defensive Financial Planning Paid Off During the PandemicIn this episode, Emily interviews Maya Gosztyla, a third-year graduate student in biomedical sciences at the University of California at San Diego. Maya has experienced major financial ups and downs […]
- Catching Up with Prior Guests: 2021 EditionEmily published the first episode of this podcast in July 2018. This is the one hundred and fiftieth episode, and over the last three and a half years, the podcast has featured 134 unique voices in […]
- How to Pursue FIRE in Graduate SchoolIn this episode, Emily shares the first section of a written guide she recently added to the Personal Finance for PhDs Community, titled How to Pursue FIRE in Graduate School. FIRE stands for […]
- This Grad Student Purchased a House with a FriendIn this episode, Emily interviews Courtney Beringer, a second-year PhD student in civil engineering at Oregon State. Courtney joined the Personal Finance for PhDs Community near the start of grad […]
- Is Podcasting a Lucrative Side Hustle? with Elana Gloger of Dear Grad StudentIn this episode, Emily interviews Elana Gloger, a 5th-year PhD student at the University of Kentucky and the host of the Dear Grad Student podcast. Elana and Emily discuss Elana’s motivation to […]
- This Graduate Student Launched a Passion Business Based on His ResearchIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Nelson Zounlome, a recent PhD in counseling psychology from Indiana University and assistant professor at the University of Kentucky. Nelson started graduate […]
- This PhD Solopreneur Started His Business During Grad SchoolIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Lubos Brieda, a PhD in aerospace engineering who is now a full-time consultant in the aerospace industry. Lubos’s solopreneur journey during grad school […]
- How This PhD Conducted a Job Search and Evaluated Multiple Offers in the Private SectorIn this episode, Emily interviews Dr. Sean Bittner, a newly minted PhD in biomedical engineering, on how Sean navigated finding and landing his first post-PhD job in medtech innovation. Sean timed […]
- An MD/PhD Pays with Time Instead of MoneyIn this episode, Emily interviews Emily Przysinda, an MD/PhD student at the University of Rochester who is approximately halfway through her 8-year degree program. As is typical in a Medical […]
Join Our Phinancially Distinct Community
Receive 1-2 emails per week to help you take the next step with your finances.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.